This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #RedVelvetLove #CollectiveBias
Sure you may have Valentine's Day plans with your significant other, but how are you going to celebrate friendship on Valentine's Day? Don't forget to show your friends and family that you care for them too! I created this fun Valentine's Day Red Velvet Heart Cookies Recipe for that very reason. Give some #RedVelvetLove to those fabulous friends who are always there when you need them. Sweet treats and a sweet sentiment the perfect way to show your family members how much you love and appreciate them.
Valentine's Day Red Velvet Heart Cookies
Ingredients for Cookies
- 1 ½ cups self-rising flour
- 3 ½ tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1- teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1- teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 2- teaspoons red food coloring
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1- teaspoon vanilla
- pink sugar sprinkles
- 1- 9.90-oz bag M&M's® Red Velvet
Instructions for Cookies
Use a large heart-shaped cookie cutter. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. This recipe will make 10 large heart shaped cookies.
- Combine flour and cocoa powder in a bowl and set aside.
- With electric mixer cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla; mix well.
- Gradually beat in flour and cocoa powder mixture on low speed. Add vinegar and food coloring and mix until combined.
- Divide dough into 8 balls. Place balls of dough on parchment paper-lined cookie sheet leaving about 5” space in between balls.
- Press each dough ball down to flatten with fingers, flattening to 1/3” thick.
- Place cookie cutter on top of a flattened dough ball, press down and cut.
- Remove extra outside dough while cookie cutter is still in place. Repeat with remaining dough balls. Two more dough balls will be formed using the extra scraps of dough that were removed from around cookie cutter, to make a total of 10.
- Bake cookies for 8 to 9 minutes, centers should be soft to the touch. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 1 minute. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
Instructions for Cream Cheese Frosting
- Using electric mixer beat butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add confectioner’s sugar and blend.
- Add vanilla and continue beating until light and fluffy.
- Have your cooled cookies ready on wire rack.
- Frost cooled cookies.
- Shake pink sugar sprinkles over frosted cookies.
- Decorate with M&M's® Red Velvet.
- Allow decorated cookies to set for 10-15 minutes.
- Prepare cookies for gift giving or enjoy them yourself!
Tip: when you go to purchase M&M's® Red Velvet, you will find them at Walmart. Just look in the seasonal aisle. They are larger than regular M&M's® and really do have a genuine Red Velvet taste. They are yummy on their own, or in these cookies!
Leave me a comment and tell me how you show your friends and family love on Valentine's Day.