This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BigGameTreats #CollectiveBias
My family loves getting together for the big game. For as long as I can remember, we find special ways to show our team spirit for our favorite team. This year, we are rooting for a team whose colors are blue and orange. It got me thinking, what special #BigGameTreats could I make that would show our team spirit? I was reminded of these delicious popcorn balls my mom used to make when I was a kid. That is when we came up with the idea for Game Day Popcorn Balls! Skittles® literally come in every color in the rainbow. Just find the bag that contains your team's colors and you are ready for a treat touchdown!
I decided to make the recipe twice. I made it once for one color combination, then I flip flopped to the reverse color combination. For example, I used blue Jell-o with orange Skittles for one batch, and then orange Jell-o with blue Skittles for the second batch. To make one batch Game Day Popcorn Balls, you will need:
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 small package of Jell-o (choose team colors)
- 10 cups popped corn
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of Skittles (choose team colors)
I found my ingredients at Walmart. To find the Skittles, look for the bread and candy aisle. There were several flavors to choose from. I chose Original and Wild Berry. The Original Skittles had the orange candies and the Wild Berry Skittles had the blue candies that I wanted to use for my recipe.
Divide your team colors out of each bag of Skittles. I found that I got about 1/2 cup of one color per 14 oz. bag.
How to make Game Day Popcorn Balls:
- Combine corn syrup and sugar in saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat till it comes to a full boil.
- Add jello to boiling mixture and continue stirring until jello is dissolved. Turn off heat.
- Using large bowl, pour hot mixture over popped corn.
- Working quickly, mix all together. It works well to toss using a wooden spoon in each hand.
- Add Skittles and mix a little more till distributed.
- Spray a small mixing bowl with non-stick cooking spray and fill with popped corn mixture.
- Spray a potato masher with non-stick cooking spray and press down lightly to compact popped corn mixture.
- Turn mixing bowl over a cooling rack to easily release and let cool.
Once you are done with one color combination, you can repeat the recipe for the reverse color combination. If you make the recipe twice, you should end up with 16-20 popcorn balls, depending on the size.
I love how my Game Day Popcorn Balls turned out! Not only are they gooey and delicious, the Skittles are also colorful and really show our team spirit!
My husband loves SNICKERS®. So we decided to add SNICKERS to the game day treat table for a winning combination! SNICKERS + Skittles = #BigGameTreats that can't be beat!
As you can see, we really hope our blue and orange team makes it to the Big Game! Whatever team you are rooting for, you can really make your game day treat table pop with these easy to make Game Day Popcorn Balls! Psst ... You might also like my SNICKERS Dessert Recipe. Go Team!
Does your family love football? What kind of #BigGameTreats does your family like to enjoy? Leave me a comment and tell me what you are making for the Big Game!