I don't know about where you live but here it is soup weather. I happen to love soup. I could eat it every day. Potato soup, chicken soup, lobster bisque, you name it - I love it. But one soup stands far above the rest. That soup is Max and Erma's Tortilla Soup. I honestly get it as take out at least once a month. It is so so so delicious! I found a copy cat recipe on Food.com and wanted to share it with you. Try it. You will NOT be disappointed! It is creamy and a little spicy and cheesy and so delicious!
Max & Erma's Chicken Tortilla Soup - Sue's Original Clone
Prep Time: 30 mins Total Time: 2 hrs 30 mins Servings: 12
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans Campbell's condensed cream of celery soup
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans Campbell's cheddar cheese soup
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup picante salsa ( Pace brand medium hot)
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) cans green chilies ( Ortega brand)
- 1 medium onions, chopped
- 4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon red new mexico chile powder ( NOTE -- This is not the same as ordinary red chili powder. It can often be found in specialty foods)
- salt and pepper, to your taste
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 cooked chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
- 10 flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb colby cheese
- In a large (8-10 quart) stockpot combine and whisk together until smooth all eight cans of soup.
- Add chicken broth. Add tomatoes, salsa, green chiles, onion, garlic, chile powder, salt and pepper. Bring all ingredients to a full boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add cilantro and chicken breast chunks. Simmer another hour.
- While soup is simmering, make your soup toppings: Cut flour tortillas into small thin strips. Heat oil and deep fry tortilla strips until lightly browned. Shred cheese.
- To serve: Ladle soup into bowls, top with shredded cheese and fried tortilla strips.